A California electrician is lucky to be alive after accidentally impaling himself on an 18-inch chip auger drill bit. According to news reports, Ron Hunt was using his drill more than 6 feet above the ground when his ladder began to wobble. As he had been trained to do, he tossed the drill aside as he fell.

Unfortunately, Hunt landed face-first on the drill, and the bit went through his left eye and out the back of his head.

Amazingly, Hunt only suffered the loss of his eye in the accident and is expected to make an otherwise full recovery. The bit, which measured 1.5 inches in diameter, apparently pushed his brain aside, rather than penetrating it. Doctors considered cutting the drill bit out before ultimately deciding to "unscrew" it from Hunt's head.

The self-employed Hunt had no health insurance, and the medical bills related to the accident are now upwards of $300,000. For more information, visit www.ronhuntmedicalfund.com.