To qualify for participation in the study, respondents must have either completed a kitchen and/or bath remodeling project in the past 12 months and/or planned to complete a kitchen and/or bathroom remodeling project in the next 12 months. The organizations have conducted a study of 4,000 to 10,000 consumers across the U.S. each year since 2006.
In the next 12 months:
- 34% in the 55+ age bracket plan to remodel a kitchen; 33% plan to do a bath remodel
- 50% of respondents aged 35-54 plan to remodel a kitchen; 49% plan to remodel a bathroom
- 16% in the 18-34 age group plan to remodel their kitchen; 18% plan to remodel a bath
- 60% of respondents with no children in the household plan to remodel a kitchen; 59% to remodel a bath
- 30% of respondents with children under age 13 in the household plan to remodel a kitchen; 31% plan to remodel a bath.
Respondents’ plans for bath remodeling spending:
- 46% plan to spend less than $2,500
- 19% plan to spend $2,500 to $4,999
- 16% plan to spend $5,000 to $9,999
- 12% plan to spend $10,000+
- 7% don’t know
—Nina Patel, senior editor, REMODELING.
This is a longer version of an article that appeared in the April 2011 issue of REMODELING.