Indiana health officials are warning residents about lead-based paint poisoning in older homes. Officials in Allen County, Indiana have tried to raise awareness about the issue and have gone throughout the county to provide resources to their towns.

Lead paint becomes a health hazard when paint chips and disintegrates into dust from homes built prior to 1978, before lead paint was banned.

Speaking with 21ABC Live, Jack Close with the Housing and Neighborhood Services said, "Lead-based paint in and of itself is not a danger. It's when that paint becomes deteriorated, when you see it peeling off of a house, or when it's peeling off the windows. At that point it can be ingested - it creates dust, it creates flakes.”

Read more >