The Baltimore Sun reports that the Maryland Department of the Environment is partnering with the U.S. EPA to encourage nearly 400 families to have their kids tested for lead poisoning. This comes after a private inspector found that many rental properties were improperly certified as lead-free. Under federal law, properties built before 1978 (when lead paint was banned nationally) must undergo inspection and be certified safe for renting.
The investigation involved 384 inspections in Maryland, which began when state officials started to receive complaints concerning the validity of lead-free certification. Peeling and flaking paint is a primary source for lead poisoning in children. Lead poisoning can lead to severe cognitive disabilities that lead to children struggling and getting in trouble at school.