A home renovation project lead to a heavily damaging fire in Park Ridge, Ill., a suburb of Chicago. The cause of the fire is being linked to spontaneous combustion in the kitchen from rags that had been used for painting and staining. Chemically soaked rags were blamed on another fire in the area last year for a home that was also undergoing remodeling work. These rags smolder and burn holes, causing chemical fires.

The damage to this home is estimated to be about $400,000, according to the local fire department. It is advised, as always, that contractors are trained in how to properly dispose of remodeling equipment and must be trained in knowing how to prevent fires. Make sure that you and your workers are all trained in preventing fires.

"You never want to put those on top of each other. You want to have a safe disposal can outside of the house, preferably a metal can with a lid, and not put them on top of each other when wet."

Read more >