Though Thomas Murphy has been re-siding and re-roofing houses since 1981, it was a high-profile project in 1993 that put his company on the map. He so deftly used vinyl siding and aluminum trim on a historic 1865 project, that visitors think it is the home’s original wood detailing. The project won an award and garnered coverage in a local newspaper.
• Customers appreciate Murphy’s low-pressure sales — no gimmicks or discounts — and its wide range of products.
• In 2010, the company built an addition on an auto repair shop to create a 9,000-square-foot office/showroom with 10-foot sections of different siding products on the exterior.
• The company has a 400-square-foot home show booth that Murphy says he tries to reinvent every year.
• His two salespeople are on commission and receive a bonus based on job profit.
• Murphy works with a local bank to offer financing.