After he got a master’s degree in 17th century British literature, and during his spare time as an English teacher, Jim Albright moonlighted as a painter, wallpaper-hanger, and framer. Repeated requests to do more remodeling prompted him to eventually leave the classroom and start a business, but he never lost his commitment to education.
At Albright Remodeling, continual learning is the linchpin to diversification. “We try one new thing every year,” says Albright (center, with wife and VP Sherre) of classes and certifications for himself and his staff, including “right-hand man” and daily operations manager Richard Hughes (left). Recently, learning has encompassed green building and universal design, helping the company to both meet the changing needs of longtime clients and branch into new markets.
Despite being the biggest remodeling Pella installer in the Rochester/Buffalo region, Albright Remodeling stays deliberately small. Employee tenure averages 15 years, for reasons such as generous compensation, excellent benefits, and lunch on the company most Fridays. Collectively, they strive to “overwhelm clients with confidence,” Albright says.
- Has raised more than $100,000 for the American Diabetes Association’s camp for diabetic youngsters since 2003, through the Jennifer Albright Memorial Golf Tournament.
- Only remodeling company in New York state to have two staff with these four National Association of Home Builders designations: CGR, CGB, GMB, CAPS.
- Long-standing marketing practices including client newsletter, professional project photos, and frequently updated website.
- Actively promotes professional designations through marketing materials, on company shirts, via client/prospect discussions.
- Pella Certified Contractor; largest remodeler installer of Pella Corporation doors and windows in the Rochester-Buffalo region.
- Andersen Custom Remodeler.
- Meets with daily operations manager every Friday afternoon to review projects. Gives clients “to-do list” of their responsibilities.
- Named 2008 Rochester “Home Remodeler of the Year.”
- Prior to first sales call, sends prospects 10 letters of reference, certificate of insurance, company newsletter.
Notable quote: “We try to overwhelm homeowners with competence. The underlying goal is to get them to think, ‘Why would we want to hire anybody else?’”